Thursday 8 October 2009

Impacting your Community?




The fact that Nepa (or is it PHCN?) doesn’t give light for 2-3 days and even months in some areas is no longer news to us. The fact that when they do decide to give us light, it’s often ‘tomato light’ i.e. too low to carry even the fluorescent, is by no means a surprising incident. The fact that we sometimes celebrate Christmas or Sallah in darkness is also something we have gotten used to but what I never envisaged was that
there would not be a blink of light on Thursday, October 1st, 2009 – Nigeria’s Independence Day Anniversary.

Strange enough, when I woke up that day and actually all through my activities at home during the day, it did not strike me that the reason I was spending time with my children on a weekday and not at work was because I was supposed to be celebrating Nigeria’s independence. I was simply enjoying the holiday and absolutely forgot the reason for the holiday. Maybe, if I had put on the TV, it would have dawned on me but alas, there was no light and my generator was feeling the heat of having been overworked and was messing up.

It wasn’t until 10.30pm that it dawned on me. I was wide awake with so much inspiration to finish what I was working on but had to shut down my laptop irrespective because the battery was extremely low and already begging for mercy and then, it dawned on me:

A day of supposed celebration
49th anniversary of independence & freedom
Our birthday… a day to party
A day when the global news or CNN would focus on us to tell the world how we celebrated the supposed great day of achievement.

What did we have to show for it? Total Black-Out. Not as much as a blink of light. It dawned on me that the situation is so bad that even NEPA could no longer pretend. There had to be absolute lights-out. Hmm! No wonder even my 2yrs+ son knows the name NEPA. How sad. Truly, except we rise up and do something.

Ofcourse, I know that NEPA is not a respecter of areas i.e. no light in Egbeda, Otta, Surulere, Lekki/VI, Ogun State, Kaduna etc. Ofcourse, I know that it is neither a respecter of some days i.e. no light on Christmas day, New Year’s day, Sallah holidays e.t.c but I honestly thought it was a respecter of this particular day: 1st of October. Alas, how wrong I was. Honestly folks, this shook me; it shook me to my bone marrows and moved me close to tears for our great nation. The self-proclaimed giants of Africa?

It was only recently that Ghana celebrated One(1) year of constant power supply and we are struggling to boast of one(1) day.

Anytime I ask my son (he would be 3 next month) the question ‘What Country are you from?’ he would answer so excitedly ‘My Country - NIGERIA’. So, I ask: My Country-NIGERIA…Why? And then, I say: My Country-NIGERIA… there must be a radical change. Indeed, a complete turn-around. There must be a revival in our land.

CHANGE… we can, we must, we will. 

Please, click on this link http://www.deoluakinyemi.com/a-call-to-action, read the article and pls, contribute your quota, for, that is the true essence of life and wealth… impacting your community!!!

Passionately committed to raising you to great financial heights

Derin



Are you tired of the rat-race and want to own your own life? Do you want to earn residual income for the rest of your life? Do you want to be able to travel round the world at rock-bottom prices? Do you want to have more than enough to donate to orphanages and put a smile on the faces of the less privileged? If you answered 'yes' to all these questions, then, this is going to be one of the best decisions you would ever make…TRUST ME, your life would never remain the same: www.holidaysandcash.com/derin

No comments: